August 07, 2006
We dined Saturday night at a lovely seaside restaurant. I had the salmon with yukon potatoes and balsamic sauce with tomatoes and herbs. We had a nice chardonnay, the sun set over the water, the candles were lighted. It couldn't have been more perfect. I even brought half of my meal home for lunch the next day.
At 1:00 a.m. I awoke terribly ill. I was awake almost all night feeling just awful--stomach, head, general malaise and discomfort. It is now 34 hours later and I am still sick. I discovered that the "herbs" were cilantro and the decorative "greens" were cilantro. I got several good bites of the stuff in me.
Unlike many of the other people who have posted, I don't particularly dislike the smell or taste of cilantro. It just makes me sick.
This is not the first time either. When we go to Chevy's I always ask for NO CILANTRO. Sometimes I think the servers think I'm kidding. Other times they are diligent. But, no matter how carefully they prepare my food without the cilantro--they ruin it by garnishing with--guess what!
I have heard that some people have an allergy to cilantro--I believe I am one of them. I would like to know more about this allergy and if there is any way to combat it. Since I live in California, it's everywhere.